Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Aroma of the German Christmas Market



I love the Christmas season, but for the last twelve years in the US, I've truly missed the German Christkindlmarkt or Christmas market. Simply said, nobody does Christmas and Christmas markets likethe Germans! Why? I'm not quite sure, but for me it has to do with aroma, one
that you can find only in Germany. It's a sweet and savory aroma consisting of bratwurstl grilling, steaming hot Gluehwein or mulled wine, and roasting chestnuts and almonds, Lebkuchen (ginger bread) and a few other ingredients, such as cheese or dried meats. Whatever it is, it is the definitive smell of Christmas and you just can't reproduce it anywhere else. The other
thing about the markets is the buzz of happy shoppers and market people, everyone is happy. I'm sure it's the Gluehwein. While our hometown of Bellingham has a lovely farmer's market that becomes a Christmas market in December and several other fine arts and crafts markets, somehow it just isn't the same without that Christmas aroma from Germany. Too bad it can't be bottled or turned into a Potpourri. I'd pay good money for it. The closest I'll get is a winter bbq on the back deck with a vat of Gluehwein. Hmm, maybe that's a new tradition to start when we're back stateside. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment