Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dirndl Shopping


 The spring fair or Dult season is upon us here in the deep netherlands of Bavaria. This means that the lads pull out their Lederhosen (traditional Bavarian wear - leather shorts ) and the ladies don (Molly, note the use of don here) their Dirndl (traditional Bavarian dresses, based on historical costumes of Alpine peasants) and head off to the spring fair to enjoy a few Masse or liters of beer. These dult fests are all like local versions of Munich's fall Octoberfest. Burghausen's spring Dult, called the Mai Wiesn (http://www.maiwiesn.de/programm.php) is coming up in May, apparently most of Wacker and other local      
             businesses let everyone clock out early to go and enjoy the May Wiesen, it's called Tag der Betriebe. I've heard it gets pretty wild and it's a good opportunity to see all your German colleagues decked out in their traditional wear, so, of course, I'm in. 

With all that said, many of my American female colleagues have been going out to purchase Dirndls so as to join in the local festivities and embrace the German tradition. Well, who am I to be left out, despite my tomboy tendencies. So yesterday, myself, LeAna, Molly and Janna, headed out to Rimbach to "da' gamsnberger" trachtenerlebnis (http://www.gamsnberger-dirndl-trachten-lederhosen.de/de/frauen/) to buy Dirndl's. I pictured this place somewhere on the main street of a small town, but no, it was in the middle of Bavarian farm country. We pulled into a drive with what looked like a large farm building in the back, but it was, in fact, the shop building. Parked out front were more BMWs, Porsche's and Mercedes than I've seen in one place for a while, though we arrived in LeAna's rental Jaguar, so we fit right in. The shop itself was lovely and the sales personnel quite helpful. I was surprised how busy it was. Many sets of grandparents buying Dirndl and Lederhosen for grandchildren, among others.

Molly was our purchasing consultant, as she already has a Dirndl. Janna and I tried various styles while LeAna opted more for the nice leather Lederhosen skirts, though she did try on a dirndl for kicks. Janna didn't find any to her liking, but I did. A lovely dark blue dress with a turquoise apron. For those not in the know, the dirndl consists of a lacy midriff blouse that you put on first, then a bodice and full skirt, then the apron. I'd never tried one on, but gotta say, it makes you feel quite womanly and "busty," but in a good way.
Well, I found the one I liked and purchased it. They are not cheap, but the workmanship and the fabric is really nice, so it will be fun to have one back in the States. Maybe I'll get some free beer back in Bellingham during Octoberfest for wearing my authentic Dirndl. I'll have to campaign for that.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent! What I want to know is....Are James and Ronan going to get Lederhosen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hil, you look awesome in your Dirndl. I'm so jealous! So how many Masse can you heft?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I'll take you dirndl shopping when you come to visit! Haven't tried to heft a Massbier yet, however hoping that the bodice will let me fit in at least two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice information .
    Online shopping for German Traditional Costumes from a great selection at German Clothing Store, German jewelry,oktoberfest clothing Available at german Bavarian : http://germanbavarian.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice information . I love your blog , You can :


    Visit us our Das Boot Store : https://buysteins.com

    ReplyDelete